And the Dream began.....

And the Dream began... I can remember my very first sailboat as if it were yesterday...the shiny, bright red hull, the brilliant white sail that could blind you in the afternoon sun as it danced across the water. I loved that boat and would have done anything to keep it safe. Even fall off the dock and almost drown...but that was many moons ago and I was only 3. Thank goodness for a quick dad! My pride and joy and I were both safe and lived to sail another day. There have been many more loves in my life since that wonderful week on Keuka Lake and a good a share of them have been the sailing variety. So I guess that it was only natural that over time the dream to sail around the world would become a passion. I am very lucky that the man in my life, my husband Gar, has humored me in following this dream. We are getting there and hope to set sail once we retire but the journey has been fun. Hope you enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Adventure Has Begun!!

December 3rd, 2012, found us flying out to San Francisco for a 30 day South American cruise.  You who know us understand that we are really not cruisers, unless we are at the helm so the fact that Gary decided to celebrate his retirement with a Princess cruise was even a little surprising to me.  November 16th was his big day and after a lovely Thanksgiving with all the kids, we were off.
IMG_0434
San Francisco has always been one of our favorites and it was a plus that the cruise started there.  Any excuse for a few days in the city by the bay is a good excuse!  We were staying at the Nob Hill Hotel.  It looked better on the website but all and all not a bad place.  Décor in our room was Victorian bordello.  I have never stayed in a place with so many Tiffany lights.
IMG_0445
IMG_0446
Dinner on Monday night was at State Bird Provisions on Fillmore Street.  They serve a tapas type menu with the most wonderful, fresh ingredients.  I think we had one of everything before the evening was up.
99ccffec341311e1abb01231381b65e3_7

Of course, no visit to San Francisco is complete without a trip to the Wharf
IMG_0240
and some Dungeness crab.  We have been known to schedule trips around crab season and I firmly believe that a crab a day keeps the doctor away….
800px-Dungeness_Crab_Fishermans_Wharf
Our sail away day was on Wednesday, the 5th!  I was looking forward to getting on the water and sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge.  San Francisco Bay is Dreamchaser’s old stomping grounds so now I was able to see where she used to sail! The view of the city at night as we departed was awesome and the bay didn’t disappoint as the fog rolled in as we headed out to sea.
IMG_0248
 
IMG_0251

IMG_0253

IMG_0254

IMG_0256
We were on our way…hang on, it’s going to be quite a ride!!!

Till next time....Sante!!

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hope you have enjoyed the visit! Come back soon..